Whangarei and Northland have tourist attractions and travel activities for all ages, tastes and budgets. From adrenaline-pumping adventure to a relaxing day out there’s always plenty to choose from.
Visitor Activities Close to Cheviot Park Motor Lodge
- Kiwi North and Whangarei Heritage Park (7 minutes drive) – features a kiwi house where you can view live kiwi, kauri homestead, miniature railway, bush walks and museum
- Whangarei Town Basin – vibrant waterfront precinct with cafes, art and craft galleries, specialty stores, museums, playground and walkway. The Town Basin is home to a number of weekend Artisan Markets and special events. A 4km circular walkway runs from the Town Basin via a stunning sculpture trail, showcasing the work of local artists in an attractive waterfront setting
- Mair Park and Mt Parahaki – stroll or jog through an extensive selection of well-maintained native bush walkways to enjoy panoramic views of the city from Mr Parahaki (or drive up if you are short of time)
- Botanica Fernery, Conservatory and Cactus House – discover New Zealand’s largest public collection of native ferns
- A.H. Reed Kauri Park (Whareora Road – 5 minutes drive) – canopy walkway with a bird’s eye view of the forest
- Whangarei Falls (10 mins drive) – spectacular 25 metre falls and walkway with a range of vantage points and picnic areas
- Whangarei Quarry Gardens – breathtaking subtropical oasis created by volunteers in the remnants of a former quarry. Includes numerous walkways and lookout points.
- Quarry Arts Centre – visitors can stroll through the sculpture filled grounds, watch resident artists at work in their studios and find inspiration as they soak up the ambiance of this unique local treasure.
- Barge Park Showgrounds (5 mins) – home to the Whangarei Summer Show, equestrian events, wedding venue and events centre and plenty of space for walks and picnics
- Whangarei Art Museum – home of the city art collection which embraces both heritage and contemporary art work
- Claphams National Clock Museum – located at the Town Basin, this unique museum is ideal for all clock enthusiasts, time travellers and just the plain curious
- Whangarei City Centre: cafes, restaurants, cinema, bars, theatre, swimming pool, shops, banks, library, internet cafes and more
- Sky Diving – commencing from Whangarei Airport, take in the stunning coastal scenery as you free-fall from a plane
Whangarei Activities Ideal for 1/2 or Full Day Excursions
- Marsden Point Oil Refinery – excellent visitor centre with a popular swimming beach nearby
- Day trip around the Tutukaka Coast, taking in Matapouri, Whale Bay and Sandy Bay – golden bays, sparkling waters and lush bush
- Tutukaka Marina – base for deep-sea fishing charters and diving trips to the Poor Knight’s Marine Reserve and home of the iconic Schnapper Rock restaurant
- Poor Knights Islands – scuba dive or take a sightseeing daytrip to this marine reserve and one of the world’s leading diving destinations
- Adventure Forest – journey through the tree-tops along high wire circuits packed with thrill and action
- Kingdom of Zion – big cat sanctuary offering personalised tours
- There are 7 excellent golf courses in Whangarei and visitors are welcome on all greens
- Bay of Islands (1 hour drive) – Russell, Paihia, Kerikeri and Waitangi, boat trips, swimming with dolphins, wineries
- Bream Bay, Ruakaka and Waipu Cove – long white sandy surf beach, historic village of Waipu and home of the iconic Pizza Barn Restaurant
- Dargaville and Bailey’s Beach (45 mins drive) – located on the West Coast and gateway to the Waipoua Forest
We are happy to advise or assist in arranging tours of the local points of interest. Email us for more information or stop into our motel reception for more information at your convenience.